To represent the students of Youngstown State University; to unite the interests
of undergraduates, graduates, faculty, and staff; to provide leadership that
promotes higher goals and ideals; and to provide for the most efficient and
successful management of all student activities.
-Adapted from the Constitution of the Student Government Association
The SGA Legislative Assembly is comprised of elected representatives from
every college (including Graduate Studies) and three Freshmen Representatives.
All official actions of SGA carry the approval of this body. Legislative Assembly
Members also serve on the committees of SGA , which investigate and make recommendations
on topics concerning all aspects of the University.
The SGA Executive Committee, which works to enact the actions of the Legislative
Assembly, is led by the President and Executive Vice President, both of whom
are elected annually.
As advocates for the student body, SGA works with all University
administrative units as well as with representatives of state and local government
to further the interests of YSU students. Recent examples of SGA efforts include:
- Working towards a resolution of the Faculty/Staff strike of 2005 and maintaining
a continued presence in campus labor relations
- Lobbying State government for increased higher education funding
- Working with Network Services to establish and expand the Wireless Network
(WiFi) on campus
- Representing student interests during the 2006 food service provider bidding
- Implementing the Student Savings Club, which provides discounts at area
businesses for YSU students
- Initiating academic reforms to expedite student graduation, including
additions to the GER program and clarity within curriculum sheets
- Working with the government of the City of Youngstown to create opportunities
for YSU students to enhance our city and their futures
Not only does SGA advocate for the student body as a whole, but it is also
committed to providing guidance and support to students on an individual basis.
Please do not hesitate to contact the organization with your questions or concerns.
The most important function of SGA in campus life is its appropriation of
funds to registered Student Organizations for their events. Information on
the financial appropriations process is available at .
SGA also works with other departments to sponsor campus events, such as Welcome
SGA provides many avenues by which students can become involved
in campus affairs. These include:
- SGA Representative : Representatives are elected each spring in the general
election for the following academic year.
- SGA President/Executive Vice President : These officers are elected in
the spring general election as a pair.
- Academic Senator : Academic Senators may be from any college and are appointed
by the Executive Vice President of SGA during the spring and summer terms
for the following academic year.
- University Committee Member : The SGA Executive Committee is responsible
for ensuring student representation on University-wide committees. Students
are appointed to committees involved with all aspects of campus affairs,
including: judicial boards, planning committees, safety boards, personnel
search committees, recreation/programming committees, budget committees,
labor relations panels, and more.